As any coffee lover knows, one of the worst things that can happen to you in the morning is going to brew a fresh cup of coffee and having your Keurig machine refuse to work. How will you get the sustenance you need to start your day? Luckily, some simple fixes can help you reset your Keurig and get it back in working order quickly.
Different Types of Keurig Machines
First off, you’ll need to determine which kind of Keurig you have. This should be on the box or instruction manual, but if you threw that out when you finished unpacking your machine, here are some simple ways to tell which model of Keurig you have.
- K-Supreme Plus SMART Single Serve Coffee Maker: this coffee machine is best for someone who lives alone or is the only one in the household to drink coffee. If only one person is drinking coffee, there’s no need for more than a single serve purpose. It also requires Wi-Fi access and can connect to the Keurig app on your phone.
- K-Cafe Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Latte & Cappuccino: this is perfect for someone more inclined to drink a latte or cappuccino than regular coffee. If cappuccinos are your favorite drink, this model is the best bang for your buck.
- Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker: this model is great for someone who entertains because it can make multiple cups of coffee. If you are more about quantity over coffee types, like lattes or cappuccinos, then this product is for you.
- K-Mini: this product is perfect for any incoming college freshman. Its small size means it can easily fit in any dorm or small space. It comes with K-cups in a variety of different flavors.
- K-Duo Single Serve & Carafe Coffee Maker: this product is ideal for people who have differing tastes in types of coffee. You can brew two different kinds at the same time.
When You Should Consider a Factory Reset
Using your Keurig multiple times a week or numerous times a day means that issues may happen. There are many different ways an error can occur. Resetting the Keurig is the easiest way to deal with any problems.
Before you do a full reset, try to turn your Keurig off and turn it back on moments later. If that doesn’t work, you should try resetting the Keurig fully.
Here are some issues that might happen if you use your Keurig frequently:
- The Keurig turns on and off on its own.
- The machine shows “Add Water” even when the tank is full.
- There are coffee grounds in the cup.
- The Keurig is leaking from the bottom.
- The Keurig is leaking while heating up.
- The Keurig is outputting too much coffee.
- The Keurig is only brewing half a cup of coffee.
- The lights on the Keurig keep flashing.
- All the lights on the Keurig are on constantly.
- The add water indicator isn’t flashing even when the water is out.
- The Keurig is stuck in preheating mode.
- The coffee in the Keurig tastes bad or burnt.
This isn’t an exhaustive list of all that can go wrong with your Keurig, but it may give you some idea as to what might go wrong. Issues that result can also depend on what kind of Keurig you have. Some errors are more prevalent in older or newer models. For example, newer models have more complex machinery and require a complicated cleaning process.
It’s also advisable to try other things before resetting the machine. If there is no other reason for why the machine is acting up, then reset the Keurig. This will help to solve the root problem. A complete reset of your Keurig can be a long and tedious process, so figure out beforehand if this is the best possible option to get your Keurig working again.
How to Reset Keurig 1.0 Models
If you’ve had your Keurig since the technology first became available, you might have problems with it. To reset your Keurig 1.0 Model, follow these steps:
- Open and close the lever. This tells the machine to reset the brew cycle and will stop one if one is currently happening.
- Turn the Keurig off and unplug it. Have the machine rest for an hour or two, as it could be overheated.
- Detach the water reservoir. Have the tank sit detached for an hour and a half.
- Reattach the tank and plug the machine in. Push the on button and begin to brew again.
How to Reset Keurig 2.0 Models
With more advanced technology and settings than earlier models, the resetting process for the 2.0 is much different from other models. Here are the steps to follow when resetting Keurig 2.0 models:
- Check your settings. Depending on your Keurig 2.0 model, you may have a different digital display. Look through each of the settings on the screen to see if anything looks off. Specifically target that setting for the reset.
- Get rid of air bubbles. These occur in the water tubes, which disrupts the brewing process. You must remove the water tank and tip it upside down on its side.
- Reset the display. Unplug your brewer and wait a minute before plugging it back in. Then turn the brewer on and open the menu to fully reset it. You should now be at the “lift to begin” screen and can raise and lower the brewer.
How to Reset K-Classic Models
A K-Classic model Keurig is simpler than a 1.0 model, so the steps are the same for resetting. It’s a basic model and doesn’t have extra buttons to press. A general quick fix is to run the Keurig without any K-cups to clear out any debris keeping the Keurig from working. You can also try running vinegar or a simple cleaning solution through the machine to work out any tough debris.
How to Reset Keurig K-Supreme Plus Models
As this Keurig model is one of the most advanced, it requires a bit more maintenance. This cleaning process is called descaling. Keurigs that require descaling will come with a cleaning solution, or you can buy one from the manufacturer. If a descaling solution isn’t available, it’s easy and safe to descale your Keurig using vinegar.
If descaling doesn’t fix your error, here are some steps for resetting the Keurig K-Supreme Plus:
- Hit any button to turn it on.
- Press and hold the two arrow buttons at the same time to enter the menu.
- Click Next.
- If you want to clear all the settings to go back to the original status, click to advance until you get to the Factory Reset option
- Press the K button to confirm
- The brewer will start to reset
- When done, the machine will then prompt you to unplug it for 10 seconds. Do this, and then plug it back in.
It’s important to note that with this specific model of Keurig, more issues will occur if you don’t descale your Keurig. You should fully descale the K-Supreme Plus every three months, which is the company recommendation. This is one of the most essential maintenance steps. Your issues could be coming from not cleaning the model properly and do not require a full reset.
If there are problems that descaling doesn’t fix, or if they have nothing to do with the maintenance of your Keurig K-Supreme Plus, reset it with the steps stated above for the best possible results.
Additional Tips to Keep Your Keurig Working Properly
Sometimes the main reason why your Keurig isn’t working has to do with the maintenance of the machine itself. It’s important to always clean your machine after a couple of uses to successfully avoid problems. Here are some tips to avoid malfunctions in your Keurig and to keep your coffee tasting great.
- Descale, descale, descale! This process is important for all Keurigs, but especially the advanced models. Descaling is essential for the machine to work the best and most efficiently.
- Clean all parts of the coffee machine. Like any used kitchen appliance, the more you use it, the dirtier and more worn down your Keurig will become. If you constantly clean it after each use, you will get less wear and tear and more years out of the device.
- Check your outlets where you usually plug in the coffee machine. This is an easy thing to overlook. Your problem might have nothing to do with the machine itself; it might be that the outlet you’re plugging the machine into isn’t working at all.
As easy as it makes our lives, technology doesn’t come without issues. A quick fix can save you the trouble of buying a new machine, however. If a reset doesn’t fix your Keurig, you can visit the company’s support site or contact customer service.
Did this list help you fix your malfunctioning Keurig? Let us know in the comments, and share this article with all of your coffee-loving friends!