Having a Nespresso machine at home opens the doors for satisfying and refreshing coffee-based cool drinks in the summer instead of restricting yourself to the conventional ones. The article below provides recommendations for Nespresso Iced drinks capsules and recipes for simple drinks and guides you on ‘How to make Iced Coffee with Nespresso.’
What Is A Nespresso Iced Coffee?
A chilled and delicious iced coffee prepared using the Nespresso or compatible coffee pods of your preference and a single-serve Nespresso machine. You can add other ingredients of your choice and taste to complement your refreshing iced coffee.
As you know, iced coffee is brewed with hot water like your normal hot coffee and served over with ice cubes, black or with milk, cream, syrup, or flavors. Nespresso iced coffee is prepared in a similar way, except for the use of the Nespresso Coffee machine and Nespresso pods.
Nespresso Iced Coffee Pods
Like other Nespresso coffees, you must select the Nespresso pod with the right intensity, roast level, and acidity that matches the type of iced coffee drink you are trying to make. These things will also depend on the amount of hot milk you prefer and the espresso shot size or lengths you choose.
For an amazing iced coffee, choose a Nespresso coffee pod with a medium or medium-high intensity rating (7 to 10). As you know, the Nespresso coffee pods are rated from 1 to 13 in terms of intensity, with
- 1 to 5 levels being the least intense.
- 6 to 8 – have the medium intensity, and
- 9 to 13 – have the strongest intensity levels.
The higher-intensity Nespresso pods are dark roast with the lowest acid levels, bringing out the strongest flavors and full body. They are great for drinks with milk.
Depending on your taste, if you want a lungo type of shot instead of normal espresso, they already have more volume and are less concentrated, so less amount of milk will suffice.
If you do not prefer to add milk to your iced coffee, you may go in for a medium-intensity level.
Specific Nespresso pods for Making Iced Coffee
In recent years, Nespresso has created pods specifically for iced coffees. Selecting one of them makes your job even simpler, as you do not have to sample through various pods to select the most suitable to make a delicious iced drink.
Nespresso Vertuo line Barista Creations
- Ice Forte: The Ice Forte espresso is suitable for 7.7 fl oz or 230 ml of coffee over ice. This blend of South American and Indonesian Arabica beans results in an intense and peppery taste with cereal notes.
- Tropical Coocunut over Ice: This limited edition Nespresso capsule (230 ml drink) is a blend of light roast Brazilian Arabica and Ethiopian Arabica. The refreshing drink brings out the sweet coconut flavour with caramel notes. In addition, there is a hint of vanilla to give the tropical island feel. You may add cold milk, vanilla syrup, or a spoonful of cocoa before blending ice.
- Ice Leggero: Another limited-time double espresso capsule with coffee grounds for 2.7 oz (80 ml) of refreshing and gentle iced coffee for a hot summer day. It has a light roast with fruity and cereal notes. These Vertuo espresso capsules carry a blend of Ethiopian and Indonesian coffees. You can top your drink up with cold water or cold milk if you like.
- Exotic Liminha over ice: Another double espresso capsule for 2.7 oz (80 ml) for iced coffee with mint flavors and citrusy lime notes.
Original Nespresso Machine Pods
- Freddo Delicato: From the Nespresso Barista creations range of 2020, this capsule has light roast (Intensity 6) Kenyan coffee’s bright fruit notes with 1.35 fl. oz or 40 ml volume. It may be less intense for some, but those who prefer lighter roasts will like it.
- Freddo Intenso: A limited time capsule with a blend of South American and Indonesian Arabica beans. The drink has an intense roasted coffee flavor with chocolatey notes and a volume of 1.35 oz (40 ml). The intensity level for these Nespresso capsules is 9.
- Coconut Flavor Over Ice: From the 2021 Barista Creations range, it is made from Latin American Arabica beans. As expected, the drink (40 ml) has coconut flavors with a hint of caramel and vanilla.
Basic Ingredients & Equipment For Nespresso Iced Coffee
Let;’s first begin with the simple and standard iced coffee using espresso capsules and cold-frothed milk. You will need the following basic ingredients to prepare a standard iced coffee with Nespresso machines.
- A Nespresso capsule for preparing a double shot espresso with your Nespresso machine. You may use 80 ml capsules like Ice Leggero or two numbers of 40 ml capsules like Freddo Delicato or Intenso. You may also use one capsule of 40 ml if you want a smaller drink, but you need to adjust the quantity of milk and other ingredients accordingly.
- Cold milk of your choice: 150 ml.
- Ice Cubes: 4 to 5 numbers.
- Sweetener (optional): Sugar, honey, coffee syrup, or others.
- Your Nespresso Machine.
- Aeroccino milk frother if you have Nespresso Vertuoline or any other milk frother equipped with a cold milk frothing option.
How to make Iced Coffee with Nespresso
As you have been using the Nespresso machine for a fair amount of time, we will not go through the very basic steps related to the operation of the machine. The steps for preparing the standard iced coffee are as follows:
- Add the ice cubes to your tall glass.
- Use the Aeroccino frother or any other frother to prepare 150 ml of cold froth using the milk or milk alternative (coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc.) of your choice. The blue light on the Nespresso frother indicates that the cold foam function is active, while the red light is for the warm milk.
- Take the selected Nespresso capsule and place it in your Nespresso machine. Press the button to pull the espresso shot into your tall glass with ice. Add sugar or any other sweetener if you like, and stir it once.
- Pour the cold froth onto your drink with the help of a spoon.
You can try many types of garnishes like Cinnamon or ground chocolate shavings, nutmeg, or other spices of your liking.
Using Nespresso Barista
As detailed below, you can use the Nespresso Barista to prepare an Iced nitro coffee. You have to be very careful with the actual quantities of your ingredients to avoid taste and overflow issues.
- Pour three ice cubes (about 90 g) into your Barista.
- Brew the espresso coffee over it using the Ristretto capsule.
- Pour about 4 to 5 g of sugar, simple or flavored syrup of your choice over it. (Optional).
- Add about 100 ml of water. Be careful to remain slightly below the maximum level marking.
- Select the Iced Nitro option in your Barista and press start to brew your drink.
- Pour it into a glass and serve.
There are many other options for cold espresso drinks that you may try out on a hot day. Some of them are suggested below:
You get a quick and smooth iced coffee by pouring the espresso from your favorite capsules over the ice cubes. You may shake your drink with ice to create attractive-looking foam and use different types of sugars like muscovado or demerara for different flavors.
- Brew two shots of espresso into a small cup and mix it with sugar.
- Pour it into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and shake it well.
- Put a few more ice cubes into a glass, pour the coffee from the shaker over it, and serve.
Iced Espresso with sparkling water.
The effervescence from the sparkling water can be quite refreshing when mixed with an espresso. Take care not to mix them abruptly, or the foam will erupt.
- Place the glass in the refrigerator to cool it for an hour.
- Pull off two shots of espresso and pour them over the glass filled with ice cubes and cooled earlier.
- Gently pour the sparkling water over the drink so that the foam does not overflow the glass and serve.
Snow White Drink
This drink combines espresso shots with strawberry flavorings and licorice with a lot of ice. The drink is named snow white because it carries contrasting colors, black and red, reminiscing the hair and lips of Snow White.
- Prepare a double shot of espresso. Mix it in one teaspoon of sugar. Add it to a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and shake it well.
- Take a separate glass and add one tablespoon each of licorice and strawberry flavorings, followed by a few ice cubes. Strain the espresso over.
- You may also add 2 oz of cold milk over the ice cubes before straining the drink from the cocktail shaker.
This drink contains espresso and cola combined over ice and may result in a lot of froth. Espresso cola is very refreshing on cool summer days, and for it to taste its best, try to keep the ingredients very cold.
- Brew about 80 ml of espresso, place it in your refrigerator, and let it cool completely.
- Add ice cubes to your tall glass and pour about 5 ounces of cola. Allow the foam to subside, gently pour over the cold espresso, and serve with simple syrup.
In another variation to the drink, you can use one scoop of soy ice cream instead of the ice cubes. Pour the espresso over it, followed by a very gentle pour of the cola. The drink is sometimes referred to as the coffee cola float.
A refreshing drink in the hot summer months with the option to stir, shake, sweeten, flavor, or brew to your desired strength.
- Fill half the glass with ice cubes and pour one shot of 40 ml of your favorite Nespresso capsule over it.
- Sweeten it to your taste with simple or flavored syrup. (optional)
- Top it up with 180 ml of cold milk or a milk alternative of your preference, frothed.
- Alternatively, you may shake the espresso, syrup, and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake it well before pouring it into the tall glass with ice, followed by cold milk.
- If you prefer a more pronounced taste of coffee, you can make the Iced Cappuccino with the same recipe, using half the mill or its alternative.
So now you have many recipes for preparing Nespresso Iced drinks for the approaching summer months. Did you try some of them? What was your experience with them? Share with us in the comments below.